Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Final Good Bye



























Funerals are never easy to attend, photograph or even think about, but today I did attend and photograph one. Lurene K. Collins, 70, of Aurora, IL made her transition to be with the Lord on January 13, 2008. The last name Collins might look familiar to anyone that knows me or reads my blog on a regular basis, that's because Lurene is the mother of one of my best friends, Donnell Collins. When I moved to Aurora I didn't know anyone or have any friends, but Donnell and his family took me in and I soon became "part of the family". Today was a difficult day, watching the Collins family say their last good byes tore my heart apart and it took all I had to keep from breaking down right alongside them. The sight of a grandson kissing his grandmas forehead for the last time, or the sound of a sibling crying out to her deceased sister, makes you realize how short life really is. Lets all try and take more time for our loved ones, life goes by to fast and everyday is a blessing. Please keep the Collins family in your prayers and don't forget to tell your loved ones just how much they mean to you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I though I was done crying today, but looking at these images and words by my friend and brother, Craig Watson just brought more tears to my eyes. But these are not tears of sorrow, these are tears of joy. Thank you so much.

D

kim said...

Craig...what an amazing job you did covering this for your friend and family - an very tough situation, especially given your personal ties to the subject....but i think you've given them a great gift - a very touching portrait of just how loved this woman was and the importance of family....my thoughts are with you all....best, kim

NanaG said...

Craig, only a friend could have done what you blessed the family with and you portrayed a bond of love to Donnell ..

Donnell and Pam .. Allow the joy of the Lord and the Peace of God flow thru you .. that freeing joy that springs up in you and gives wings to your spirit..Enjoy the joy that your Mother left with you for her joy was a gift from God that she shared with all of you. Keep your hearts tuned into joy and listen to the joyous song of your inmost being .. and know that your Mother's love has infilled you and overflowed and has touched you as only her love can.

Love from the other part of the family ... Chuck and Glynis

Lisa said...

You are awesome.

Anonymous said...

I typed something before I know I had to sign up, so now I have to try to remember what I said.
Craig It's Flo, Donnell Middle sister and I just looked at Moms funeral picture today and although there are far to many pictures of me, I guess you said I'll get her while I can, I love all that you did, and I want to thank you because I really feel that u are a true friend to my big brother, and I hope you'll accept me as your Big sister. I don't know how this blog thing works but I hope u get to read this late message. Thanks for "all" you've done for the Collins family and if you ever need a ear for listening Big Sister Flo can do that.